So we’re all familiar with the sellout concept. A band has the crazy notion that earning a living with their music might be nice, and everyone hates them for it. Of course, in some of these cases, it’s because they are being hypocrites, or selling anything and everything. I was kinda bummed to find this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mSE-Iy_tFY&feature=related
oh, Mr. Rotten…sigh….
If you sing against corporate America, then do a global ad for something,well, you look disingenuous.
But I’ve noticed another trend with some of my favorite artists, and though I can find examples to the contrary, it seems worth noting.
Being rich makes you a lazy songwriter. There, I said it. Notice, I didn’t say, “earning money makes you lazy songwriter”. If you give loads away, and are still living a somewhat normal life, it seems you’re still grounded enough to be a good writer.
But, here’s some examples of people I used to love, and am now very annoyed with.
Let’s start with Billy Corgan. Listen to/watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrivjzw0RlI
then this: and don’t hate me-this is pretty…..just….missing something, no?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLPgz9K4D20 (ZWAN)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7HheYR-vDM&feature=related
meh…
then, one of my favs (from the little I know of her)-Dolly. I think, that though she’s still as sweet as can be, her early stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plvBR02wDs (Jolene)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1zJzr-kWsI (Coat of many colors)-if this doesn’t make you cry, you have no heart.
far outshines this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-H5Nr25pLU&feature=related
which feels like a ad for a self help book or something. And it’s not to say “happy” songs are always silly. Here’s some happy songs that are still lyrically interesting, and musical from the same artists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQSxwzOngMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utP1mGoutQ
onto others: Here’s Cat Stevens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4-IZTZkTY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwdJUcMHRSs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p38vI42QFO4
then-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaCapq2ldX4
ACK!!!! Did he forget how to create images? Even Peace Train was deeper than this.
oh Cat. ugh. Of course, arguably, this isn’t about his money, but if his money and fame made him become a crazy religious passionless guy, then I think it still fits.
Here’s another one:
Bob Dylan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM (Bob Dylan,Tangled up in Blue)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ_XhVAxxJ8 (Bob Dylan, simple Twist of fate)
then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RPkJeziNyI (Bob Dylan, Thunder on the Mountain)
grant you the music’s good, but the lyrics?!?! ew and it’s a lot about the lyrics for me.
ok-so here’s a more modern example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFM7Ty1EEvs (U2-Sunday Bloody Sunday)
then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98W9QuMq-2k vertigo
and I love! the song vertigo, but for all the cool stuff they do, this song is pretty dumb.
I mean, “one two three fourteen”? Hello hello-where did your skills go?
And in case you think I’m all raggin on too many men, here’s No Doubt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg (Just a girl)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiBX-ESFDF0 (Sunday Morning)
then omg:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gwen+stefani+hollaback&search_type=&aq=0
just……ew
ok….due to fried brain, this is all I can do-but you get the idea.
Prove me wrong, or tell me what else is going on , but I think that old “their first album was better” thing, stands for a reason, and not just because they change their sound and people are wary of change…Or is it?! What do you think?
you go girl!!
ReplyDelete