Friday, July 23, 2010

REALLY LONG whine about non singing v. -ahem-"real" singing


Been a while, right?
Crazy up in here, with trying to find a job, musical or otherwise, and it’s led me to this most current rant. I keep hearing, from musicians who chat with me about singing for them, to not, um, sing so much. This is the ad that, typical of many, made me want to pull my hair out, and rant to all of you. I care more than I should perhaps, since I NEED a JOB!!! and thought, as an experienced vocalist, I could maybe find one doing what I’ve been trained to do (and don’t get me started on how “trained” is a dirty word in many music circles). Apparently, I was insane:

He WANTS a sound like Zooeys’ ??? Not a "singer"? UGH!!! Grant you, this one isn’t a paid gig, so who cares, right? I do! Why do people WANT non singers? Can you fathom an ad that said , “Looking for guitar player, who doesn’t really play very well, a la {insert name of bad guitarist}”-you’ll never see that. never ever. Don't you want the front person to be bigger than life? Or smaller? 
And I’ve had potential paying gigs-recording, back ups etc-where the head guy -always a guy- said the same thing: No vibrato, cut the melodies down, be quieter (which I hear as smaller, less visible, less powerful). So, I try to do that-hey, I need the money. I’m certainly capable of what I call “undersigning”, but coupled with nearly ALL the current female vocalists, (and many male too), I’ve definitely heard a trend, and would like to know:
WHY, OH WHY?!?!??! does no one want to hear real singers in rock anymore?
It used to be, in the 70’s, 80’s and even some of the 90’s, that though there were always loads of screamy, less melodic, attitude heavy singers/talkers/growlers, etc, (many of whom I like-it's in the lyrics and passion), there was still room for big, full voiced, melodic singing.
Now if you like to hear that, or sing like that (like me), you’re relegated to either show tunes, (fine, but not what I wanna do)-OR-horrible, very badly written, soulless, meaningless, American crappy Idol worthy pop. (oh, or over the top opera death metal stuff-but who can do that with a straight face?)
Evidence: (some of these I’ve probably referenced before, but-oh well)
1970’s/80’s HUGE singing/beautiful technique/all that, which influenced me a lot, not knowing it'd be passe when I was grown.
Journey: (having a resurgence in popularity, thanks to Glee, though I’m not sure that’s a good thing, even though I’m a total Gleek)

Heart:

Boston:

Queen (sigh---love)

Pat Benetar:

Guns N roses-Axl had a weird but totally great voice-can YOU hold notes that long??? didn’t think so.

Then, in the 90’s a few people with cahones/melodic sense, big range and –horror of horrors-passion still managed to get some love:
Faith No More: (he does jazz too-still has a great voice)

wait: I was going to have another example-and couldn’t find one!
I loved this song back in the day, and she uses oodles of range here, but…it’s also pop-but here it is anyway, just because:

ummmmmmm
honestly? I can think of a zillion 80’s women with decent vocs-Cyndi, Bonnie Tyler, Berlin, Melissa Etheridge-but they’re either pop, or not originally 90’s! Who am I missing?
ok-so already, there was a singing depletion in the 90’s..and the 2000’s?
I can think of one-1 guy with a range, the ability to be loud, pretty, and also passionate over rock music: You’ve probably heard of him-though still understated by 70’s standards-he does have a really great voice/range and-oh-what is that? Is that vibrato on the high notes?!? Yes, yes it is. Please note he also does this thing where some of the notes in his lyric line are more than 2 notes away from the previous ones….MELODY!!! OMG!!!! 
Also please note-this "singing" of his did not hinder their success.

So again, why are we so against it now?
ok-maybe these guys too- (one hit wonder, anyone?) And really beautiful singing. sigh.

And maybe the Killers..but again, males-why not the ladies? WHY?!?!?! AAAAAARGH!
Though there are plenty of bands who play simply, this attitude about hating-really HATING-the sound of a full voiced melodic singer seems unique to vocals.  Guitarists? spray all over the place. Drummers? bang away! Vocs? stop singing so much! Please sound apathetic/uninterested/short phrased and mildly off key.
This seems to be the norm now: and I KNOW I’ll get people mad with this:


oh look! I can talk and squeak! I have a two note chorus! I’m not making any real discernable words in the bridge! I can whisper and move my arms! ok, "but she’s COOL"! you might say. Fine. But she’s not singing much, and simple is awesome if you have something to say, which, well, she doesn't seem to; she not only bores me, she seems to be boring herself. Why bother? 
Here’s the typical male voice now-nasal, not much melody, then: 'I’m yelling! It’s my feelings! I’m serious!! AAAAAAAH!' This dude is traveling with the warped tour! I used to LOVE the warped tour. I think I'm old now.
So hopefully, this is a trend, and singers will once again, be allowed to sing.
I promise I’ll try to do my part!!!!
But please, everyone, PLEASE tell me if I’m missing something? I really want to know. 
Why is singing well in ROCK music uncool? Why is having passion uncool?
Why am I then, by definition for wanting to really sing, so damn uncool?
L

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
ok, I’m done.

No comments:

Post a Comment